I've been wanting to write this since Thursday. I usually put a bunch of silly nonsense on this blog but on occasion I feel the need to write something of substance. I know photos of my son ARE substance but just hear me out...
Today and for the past few days I've been thinking of how grateful I am for my church and the people who serve there. Thursday Cohen and I went to a meeting at Watermark for new moms and babies. It was beyond refreshing. I hope this doesn't bore those of you who maybe can't relate (don't have newborns) but I just feel compelled to say that I'm thankful for women who took the time to meet with us and help us through this phase of life which at times can be quite challenging. I entered the room and felt like I was looking into a mirror as I saw many faces, tired like mine, shoulders aching like mine from carrying the big ol' infant seat and eyes perhaps a little puffy from lack of them being closed for more than 3 hours straight. I was not alone anymore. I'm not the only one who stands in the closet wondering what to wear because either nothing fits or isn't conducive to breast feeding. I'm not the only one who hovers between tears of joy, tears of exhaustion, and tears of well... really anything. It was refreshing to hear women pray for me. Praying for things that could seem trivial to someone who's not in the thick of it. I was uplifted and I hope that once I've traveled this road I'm able to look back at the difficult moments and pull someone else through.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Cohen with all my heart and I'm SO glad the Lord saw fit to make me his mother. I just also feel that I'm a different person now, life requires that I make some changes. I'm just glad to know that there are people in my boat sailing along with me and that there are women who love the Lord, listen to his calling and are there to help people like me when my boat gets tipsy.
7 comments:
BEAUTIFUL LINDSAY! I wish I could have been there with you... with my tired eyes, my aching back, my hunk of mammary glands, and of course with the big man in tow, also! And... he's already 6 months old but all the early days are still fresh in my memory... very fresh. Hugs to you and your beautiful son! He's getting so big!!!! I love to see his big round eyes... please post more pictures of him soon!
How wonderful!! I can relate to every single word in your post. It really is refreshing to know "we" (moms with new babies)are not alone. I
I know people like Sarah Crotty would love to read this post! So sweet, Lins. You know I'm in your tipsy boat with you, girl.
Wonderful words Lindsay! And even with a 16 month old, I can imagine how refreshing it was to walk into that room. Motherhood is a wonderful and amazing journey that takes us to a whole new phase of life. It especially teaches us of the great love that Jesus has for us that even with tired eyes and aching backs we continue to love like He does, like we never knew we could. Although I'm sure everyone told you you would. Know that tipsy boats make us all human, nursing does make it seem a little more tipsy at times, gravity... but it is so well worth it. Thanks for sharing! Cohen is absolutley adorable!!!
I have nursed in the craziest places. If you need a nursing cover, I recommend "hooter hiders" I take it everywhere and I don't have to worry about what I am wearing since the cover does just that...covers! One thing I always try and remember during these sleep deprived times is that they grow up too quickly. Most people look back and say the baby/toddler years were the best of their lives. :)
amen!!! there is hardly anything greater than another mother that can look you in the eye and say "i understand." it makes you feel normal again, like you're not the only ones with boobs the size of watermelons, hormones on the craziest of roller coasters, and eyes that can hardly stay open.
what a blessing to have women like that in your life.
...and from computer land...i understand. it's all normal. my back still aches sometimes. the challenges still remain. i still ask myself if i'm doing things right or wrong. how to discipline? etc, etc...
other moms are a blessing, truly! and you are and will be that to other new moms too.
lots of love!!
xoxo
I've just found your blog via ... um ... The Sticklers, I think (I've just been clicking away!) and I wanted to just say, even though I'm not a mum, I've seen my sister just as you've described and I'm so happy you have found some support. My sister refused help and insisted on battling through and it was not pretty. All the best to you and your family.
Post a Comment