Wednesday, November 7

On being picky...


When I was a kid my sister and I loved the book "My Icky Picky Sister". Have you ever read it? A few nights ago Chris and I were conversing in the car and he made the comment that he thought I was, in fact, more picky than he is. Not about everyday things, mind you, but about odd things that he wouldn't even consider. I thought about it and while I don't think I appear picky on the surface, he lives with me and I think he'd know the truth!

So here it is... At the risk of sounding completely anal, I've complied a list of things I'm picky about.

1. Meat fat. Simply put I DESPISE fat on any sort of edilbe meat product! Just won't do it.

2. When I drink milk (which I often do) it MUST be cold, very cold. Ice it down if necessary but I definately do not eat the ice when I'm done like I would with a soda, tea, or other beverage.

3. Chipping nail polish. At the first sight of a color variance the polish has to be removed asap. I also don't enjoy having one nail that is shorter or longer than the others.

4. When I write with ball point pens, I cannot write directly on one sheet of paper with the table underneath. I put something underneath it every time. (unless it's an emergency) I'll fold the paper onto itself if I have to.

5. There are 3 foods that really just NEED to be accompanied by soda: Mexican, Pizza, Popcorn. Not that difficult.

6. When making sandwiches, the bread should have a nice even layer of condiments, no GLOBS of jelly or heaven fobid, mayonaise. No globs... none.

Well, I'm sure there are many more but I just though that would be a little insight to my brain. Hope you at least have a few things that make you semi-crazy as well. Let me know... it will help me feel better ;o)

Oh, and do you ever feel bad for the ONE flake or ring of cereal left in the bowl with all the milk remnant? I don't want to throw him down the disposal all lonely and afraid...so I have to eat it. As soggy as it may be, I HAVE to eat it!

7 comments:

erika said...

Oh my... my 'picky list' is almost identical to yours. Made pot roast (for italian beef sandwiches) in the crock pot last night- spent an hour this morning picking every last bit of fat off the roast. Another item (along the same lines)- I CANNOT and WILL NOT boil chicken (for chicken salad) the white foam at the top of the pot utterly disgusts me!
Glad I'm not alone!
XOXO
E

Jennie-Marie said...

I love the not leaving a piece of cereal in bottom of your bowl of milk, I do the same thing!!! You can't send just one of anything down the drain alone. Really thats just how I convince myself to finish the milk in my bowl. I'm not a big milk person but very cold with ice is the only way to go.

Anonymous said...

Does the terms.. "you sound just like your mother" ring a bell. Well kid you got it bad. I think you learned a LOT from your mother. No true Southern girl would ever have chipped polish. And Oh my gosh.. you just can't drink anything with popcorn, pizza and mexican food but COKE!! I love you MOM

TMB said...

yes!! i love it...i am not the only high maintenance one around! i am so with you on the writing thing...i have been that way as long as i can remember...my writing just turns out prettier that way! and the meat...my thing is just altogether not touching raw meat. i will not do it!! i will wear gloves if i have to, but i normally i just stab it with a fork and throw it in the pot...so ya, my hamburgers are usually a very odd shape!! ha, i love this post...thanks for making me smile!! xo

Anonymous said...

LC - you are soooo right on all of these. I completely agree on them and you have inspired me to ask my husband what I am picky about. I will report and may have to post a blog on my site to let you know. This has been a real insight into my pickyness! Thanks for the laugh!

JJ said...

Lindsay...I'm glad I found your blog, via other blogs. Check out our baby girl at jonasfamilyjournal.blogspot.com
Congrats on the long walk... I wore a bracelet for you that Whit bought for me and gave when she was passing through Bham. Hope you and Chris are doing great!
Love Joy Jonas

Beck said...

Linds, the part about the one flake of cereal left in the bowl - I can totally relate. In the words of Gnarls Barkley, "Does that make me CRAAAAZAAAAY?"

1. Sneezing: I cannot abide by mulitple sneezes. Once, okay. Twice, alright, it's cool...just turn away and cover your mouth. But by the third I will want to smack you.
2. I really, really hate leaving water on any sink after I've used it. I have to wipe sinks down...which is why Russ and I do not share a bathroom any longer. :)
3. Pens: I only use Pilot Precise in blue. Don't even talk to me about scratchy pens...I mean, i basically write handwritten notes for a living and can't focus when my handwriting is ugly!
4. Chipped polish - AGREED. Ditto your mom.
5. I can't leave my bed unmade. Even if I'm running so late I won't be able to leave the house without making the bed.

I could go on but you get my drift!