
"I feel no shame I'm proud of where I came from I was born and raised in the boondocks. It's where I learned about living, it's where I learned about love. It's where I learned about working hard... It's where I learned about Jesus and knowing where I stand, you can take it or leave it. This is ME. This is who I am."
I've been wanting to do this post for a while now. Really ever since I heard the song "Boondocks" by Little Big Town. Now, I'm NOT a frequent listener of country music but I did come across this tune and I feel like it sort of sums up my life in a way. Let me first say, I WAS NOT raised in the "bookdocks" by ANY stretch. But I was raised in a small, southern town. And I loved it. Every minute.
I am so glad that I've had the opportunity to live in some different places. It's not as though I've lived from Hong Kong to Melbourne or anything, however the places I've been priveledged to call home have been vastly different. Do you think it's possible to change your lifestyle and still not change the core of who you are? I hope it is.
Right now I live in Dallas, TX and while we have our fair share of big city glitz, we also have a lot of great people too. I like it here. I really like it even though I never knew if I would.
Dallas has a stereotypical "look" about it. I guess every city does but I think when I moved here I feared that I would have to become just like all the wealthy, glamorous, beautiful blonde socialites around me (that's the "look"). Frankly, they scared me to death. Then I began to meet people who I really enjoyed being around and who didn't care what I wore or what car I drove. I started to feel comfortable. Was I changing or was I just realizing that my preconcieved notion of Dallas was just that... a notion. I'm still not completely sure.
I think deep down I am a city girl. Having said that, I can compile an entire list of things I love equally about the "country". So what's a girl to do then? I just want to find pleasure in my big city livin', all the while maintaining the deep rooted joys of my childhood. And I don't want to wake up one day having become a person that my family and friends don't recognize.
I love the city but the boondocks are " where I learned about living, where I learned about love, where I learned about working hard, where I learned about Jesus and knowing where I stand..." You know, all the really important stuff that you can't ever take away. Thank God for the boondocks!
4 comments:
Great post, I love your thoughts. I love the whole "notion" concept I think that happens everywhere and is the greatest struggle among women and men for that matter. We think we have everyone figured out before we get to their core. Your heart can always have a little bit of boondocks and a little bit of city girl, what a great blend.
Try moving from Childersburg to Atlanta!! I have learned that I like things about both of these places!
You are a small-town girl at heart with big-city fashion. I think it's evident that you are from a small town originally. However, your "design" style and taste have probably been fine-tuned in the city! You may not have picked up on all that in Andalusia-I can pretty much guarantee! I enjoyed the thoughts! Very interesting! My short-lived two years in B'ham had me aching for a small town, but I think I might could have pulled it off too if that's where the Lord had put us. You think?? Anyway...love you!
Great post...got me thinking. I often poke fun of the small town I live in (although not as small as some in AL but certainly not Birmingham) but your post got me to thinking about how much I appreciate the south and small towns! I am like Tara...I think I like parts of both. By the way...less than 20 days!!!
Post a Comment