Thursday, July 24

the hardest post so far

I've been putting off writing this post for a little while for a few reasons, but if I'm honest, a lot of it is just that I don't know quite what to say. What a difference a day makes...

Last Friday I went with Chris to a urologist because a sonogram revealed a solid mass in one of his testicles. The doctor told us it was probably cancerous and he'd need to have surgery on Monday and have it removed. We were scared to say the VERY least.

The weekend was a whirlwind of emotion and neither of us could really decide how to feel or react. None the less, we carried on and Monday we went to the hospital. Chris was taken back for surgery at about 11:30 am. The initial pathology reports taken there in the operating room confirmed that we are dealing with testicular cancer.

Tuesday Chris recovered VERY well and Wednesday we went in for a CT scan to see if the cancer spread or if the surgery was successful in removing it all. Not to mention being completely sore from surgery, he's also claustrophobic and was NOT looking forward to being crammed in a big machine for 20 minutes. He was an absolute champion about it.

Today we wait.

Tomorrow we have a meeting with the urologist to find out what the pathology results are and if the CT scan is clear of any additional cancer sites. We KNOW that Chris will require some follow up treatment, most likely chemo in the coming months. We will know more about that after a meeting with a team of oncologists Monday. We do know that testicular cancer is one of the MOST curable cancers (90-98%) and we praise God for that!!!

We ask for nothing more than submission of constant prayer to the God who is able to do more than we can ever ask or IMAGINE. We thank Him for our friends and family who have rallied around us in love and support the past few days. It has been extremely hard and many times I've asked why us? Why now? We feel very out of control and we hate that, but we remain hopeful and trust that the Lord holds our future in his mighty hand as much today as He did last week.

Please just pray.

41 comments:

Haley said...

We're praying, and we will continue to pray. Praying for peace of mind while you wait for more information, praying for strength that can only come from the Lord, praying that you will feel loved and comforted as you both press on, and I pray you would be able to rest even when you feel things are out of your control. I pray that you will have an overwhelming trust that God is with you through this trial. He knows you and loves you both dearly. Be strong and courageous (Joshua 1:9)

I am also praying for that sweet baby and that his gentle movements will comfort you. We love you both very, very much.

erika said...

Lindsay,
Oh my goodness. We will be on our knees tonight.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer" (Romans 12:12).
Love you and praying for you.
Thanks for opening your heart to us.
Love you,
Erika

Darby said...

Lindsay, Thanks for trusting us to carry your burden for you. I tell you there are so many wonderful things about blogs... and being able to carry others burdens is at the top of the list. I'm so very glad you filled us in on all of this. We will BE PRAYING fervently for y'all. Please keep us posted and try to rest and eat {you and that sweet baby need rest & nourishment}. I love you!!

Jennie-Marie said...

Oh Lindsay thank you so much for filling us in, we will lift each of you up in prayer. We also lift up Chis' doctors that they may be filled with all the knowledge they need to guide your family through the coming months. I pray that you are filled with God's great understanding and just able to give ALL of this to Him. Which I can imagine is much easier said than done. Praying for you! Love, jm

Tara Verdigets said...

Lindsay-
You asked for prayers, and you got it! I agree with Darby, that this is one of the very reasons that blogs are so great. So many of the people I pray for daily are part of my "daily blog routine." It was strong of you to post this, and I just know that nothing but great things will come out of this post. We will be thinking about you tomorrow.
Love,
Tara

Anonymous said...

I will keep you and Chris in my prayers constantly! Thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated. Love you both! -Allyson

TMB said...

praying!!

love you guys--
xoxo

Ashley said...

Lindsay,
My heart hurts for you so much-especially as you wait! I don't know a sweeter couple than you and Chris, and I can only imagine what you're going through! I rejoice in the fact that you and Chris are such believers and you realize the power of prayer! Let us carry that burden for you, and I pray that you can give it all to Him! We're praying and will continue to pray! God is good, and I just pray that he will comfort you and Chris like never before, and He will reveal Himself in a Mighty Way!
I love you!
Ashley

Decor To Adore said...

I am here via Urban Grace Interiors. I will be praying that your family will recieve everything it needs to not just deal with this challenge, but to persevere.

Shelli Allen Photography said...

I am a friend of Erika and Darby. I am praying for you..
(John 14:27 NNAS) Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
This is my prayer for you today. God did not intend for you to carry this burden..give it over to him. Love in Christ, Shelli

Jess said...

I'm praying for both of you! Prayer is a powerful thing....
Keep us updated!
jess putnam

Dianne said...

I want you to lay this burden at the foot of the cross and try to see joy in each day. I am praying for you both to have strength and to heal.

Amanda said...

Thinking of you and praying for speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Read about ya'll on Urban Grace's blog. I will be praying for a full cure and recovery and that God's peace surround your family.

Anonymous said...

my prayers are with you.

Shonna said...

I read about you and your family regularly via Kristen Wiggins' (my sister-in-law) blog. When I read your post tonight, my heart sank. Remember - God is in control and we will be praying for you and Chris.

Shonna Wiggins Reeves

leah @maritalbless said...

I just happened across your blog today, but my heart is just aching for you. Prayers are being said for you from MN.

Alex and Lyndsey said...

Came here via Urban Grace to offer prayers. So sorry! My boyfriend is 6 years cancer free this month. He battled testicular cancer and after treatment. Just wanted to encourage you and pray God's peace surround you.

The Nebrigs said...

Lindsay, you have my word, you and Chris will be in our prayers constantly. I will be praying for complete healing and amazing peace. I know we are far away but if there is anything Michael and I can do please let us know. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Hello - I said a prayer for you and Chris, may peace and love be with you through the uncertainty you are going through. Although I do not know you I linked to your blog through Urban Grace after reading her post. I hope you find positive news ahead. Best wishes to you.

Kristen said...

I'm praying for you both and I love you.

marian said...

love and prayers to you from another stranger.

Beth Goff said...

I AM PRAYING for yall!!! I don't know if you remember me from Auburn (Beth Perkins... and Alpha Gam). Please know yall are in my prayers! God bless!!

Anonymous said...

praying for a quick and full recovery. you, your husband and your baby are in our minds and hearts and prayers.
erin g

Anonymous said...

Praying in Louisville, KY.
Susie

Christi said...

praying for ya'll.

read this this am and thought of you.

http://www.5minutesformom.com/faithlifts/2008/07/25/help-during-hard-times/

Ginny said...

Lindsay, we are praying for your sweet family. We love you! Ginny, Hunter and William

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and Chris. How wonderful it is that we have a God that's in control, when everything else seems like it's spinning out of control. Annie and I love you two very much! Love
Lisa

max harrell said...

Praying for you from Athens, Ga.

Dear Gracious and most loving God: We just humbly march up to the Throne of Grace and beg for your healing hand to touch and to heal! Please destroy cancer cells and recreate new healthy cells in all that suffer from cancer. We ask for your grace sufficient for all of the needs of those with cancer and their families. We thank you for your healing hand. We praise your Holy name. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

Courtney said...

We are friends of Erika and Chance...and any friend of theirs is most certainly a friend of ours! You are in our prayers and we are wishing for the best.

Sending love, thoughts and prayer from Texas.

Leslee P said...

I do not know you, but I am praying for you and your sweet little family! God Speed during this time in your life.

leslee

andi said...

I read your post today and want to give you words that will encourage you.
"My faithful God who is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Heb. 13:8), be to me what You were to Abram: my shield and my very great reward." (Gen. 15:1)

from Praying God's Word by Beth Moore.

Unknown said...

I'm a friend of Darby and Erika's--your family is in my thoughts and prayers! Stay strong and please keep updating on the blog. I hope for a fast and full recovery!

Anonymous said...

Prayers are with you.

katie said...

praying for you guys...
katie compton

Anonymous said...

Your God and your Love WILL sustain you both. You will remain in our thoughts and prayers.
-Pat & Ken

Anonymous said...

In my prayers! The Lord is merciful and good and will not let you fall.
Much Love

Anonymous said...

Came to your post through urbangraceinteriors. Wanted to reach out and let you know you will be in my prayers. I have no words of wisdome here, but know that a midwestern girl will be thinking of your family ever day. -Ellen

Weatherly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weatherly said...

Hey Lindsay,

I'm so sorry I am responding this late...I am just now catching up on reading everyone's blogs. Know that John Mark and I will be lifting you and Chris up in our prayers.

Also, my dad has been a doc at Medical City for 25+ years so if you need anything on that end please give me a call:904.651.9594.

My heart goes out to you both!

~Weatherly & John Mark

Design Scouting said...

My prayers are with you!